Today I woke wrapped up in a cocoon of sheets in my small twin-sized bed, my face turned to the window. Dull light was filtering in through the dusty white blinds. Peering outside with eyes half closed, I saw only two colors at first: vibrant green and then a dark, rich gray.
"clouds were as thick and dark as a good southern pecan pie. #Tennesseestorms" I Tweeted. I had fallen asleep with my iPod in my hand, doing my usual blog stalking and wedding video watching. My roommates know what I'm talking about. The storm was just ending and I listened for a while to the soft rolls of thunder moving away.
This summer I wasn't too excited about coming home. I had wanted to stay with the tall brown mountains but Tennessee was calling me home. I felt like something was pulling me back. That good ol' southern culture where people are always fixin' to do somethin' or other and bless her heart, she's so ugly she'd run a dog off a meat wagon and why're you always tryin to holler at nothin'? I digress. This summer I aim to see a lil' more of good ol' Dixie. Road trip anyone?
Today I spent some time picking strawberries in our garden (and eating most of them ... what?) and letting the hot southern sun scorch my skin. Hello warm earth in my toes and moist air. Hello green hills and thunderstorms.
I like you, Tennessee. Good thing, because that's where I'll be this summer.
P.S. Fun fact: During the Civil War, being one of the Confederates States, Tennessee had the biggest support of volunteers in his rebel army of all the Southern States.
No comments:
Post a Comment